Proposal Development Manager
SAVE THE CHILDREN
TITLE: Proposal Development Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Award and Resource Mobilization
Country office- Sana’a, Yemen
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 Months
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Proposal Development Manager is part of the Award and Resource Mobilization (New Business Development) Team and will act as a focal person in the proposal development process which includes: identification of new funding opportunities, design and lead on proposal development cycle, provide inputs in the writing as a co-writer and submission.
The post holder will take lead role in the coordination between technical, programme management, finance and other functions to ensure proposals are developed in line with requirements, programme management strategies, and ensure that Save the Children (SC) quality and technical standards are fully complied and technically and financially competitive proposal produced. Likewise, this position will act as a focal person for member/funding offices and donor on proposal development, and will build positive working relationships with funding offices, and with donors.
This position will contribute to conduct donor scoping, identify of donors and funding trends, development of a funding strategy, strategic plan period and facilitate structured donor engagement. The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to package our programme strategies in ways that attract the right donor support and grow our portfolio strategically and sustainably.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director of Strategic Portfolio, Partnership and Awards (SPPA)
Key working relationships: Technical Advisors, MEAL, Program Operations, Filed Manager/s, Advocacy and Media, Finance, Members and Regional Office
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Identification and planning
• Assess and analyse solicitation, identify new funding opportunities, outline the solicitation, and facilitate to organize decision-making process (Go-no-Go) for funding and partnership.
• Engage with Save the Children (SC) Funding offices and respectively managed donors, and donors in-country with the fundraising strategy and feed the outcomes into the programme management strategy.
• Form the Proposal Development Team (PDT) and conduct technical design consultations meetings and kick-off the proposal development process with a plan, timeline, tools, and required document.
• Work collaboratively with SC Funding, regional and country office management on the identification of new funding opportunities, donor meetings with the necessary required information and documents.
• Ensure proposals are designed and developed in line with SC’s Project Management Methodology (PMM) with required tools, process and procedures.
Proposal development and writing
• Serve as lead in the proposal development process, act as a co-lead writer in the proposal writing, in accordance to the donor and SC standard procedures and requirements.
SAVE THE CHILDREN
• Act as an editor, proof-reader and perform a principal role for the consolidation of all technical and managerial inputs/plan, annexures etc. required for the proposal.
• Develop technical narratives by collecting and integrating contributions of technical sections from the organization’s technical specialists, partners and stakeholders.
• Ensure responsiveness of technical documents and materials, in alignment with the requirements, procedures, and technical proposal quality in line with the cost proposal, guidance, requirement and singed-off.
• Ensure high-quality concept notes, proposals etc. with the collaboration of the PDT, SC funding office, Regional Office and relevant stakeholders has been produced.
• Ensure cross cutting issues are addressed and thematic areas are integrated according to SC’s quality standards
• Participate in the technical reviews and revise narrative sections according to the plan and based on the feedback during review meetings.
Coordination and communication
• Maintain internal tracking of progress, deliverables and timeline, maintain regular communications with relevant people/departments and provide regular updates to the management (SMT)
• Provide inputs and other needed support on the continuous improvement of the proposal development process and quality of proposal writing.
• Coordinate with Advocacy, Media and Technical team to develop success stories, needs analysis, and other relevant collateral to aid the fundraising process
• Support Country office to develop new funding strategies, donor landscape, organize the donor meetings and cultivate new donor relationships.
Knowledge management and documentation
• Provide input and technical support on the continuous improvement of the new business and proposal development cycle and process.
• Contribute to setting best practices in the proposal writing processes, standards, and templates.
• Document the lesson learn of high value and strategic programme proposal, donors, thematic sectors, and proposal prepared on different occasions.
• Share the lesson learn and continuously feeding the learnings in the new proposal development and writing process.
• Cultivate and maintain a portfolio of donors (active, lapsed and prospects) to facilitate the solicitation of additional asks and modifications.
• Organize capacity building initiatives on the proposal writing and needed design/consultations tools and procedures to develop proposals at both field and country office levels.
System Strengthen and management
• Provide technical assistance to ongoing projects as needed, support country office to write small proposals,
• Monitor the process and approval all opportunities, proposals and donor agreements through Save the Children Award Management System (AMS).
• Keep the system up to date with donor budgets and timeframes, so it reflects an accurate picture of Save the Children Yemen portfolio at all times.
• Support to standardised and maintain country office’s proposal content library and related documentation to include capability statements, research papers, past performances, management plans, donor briefing, capacity statement and other related proposal content.
• Contribute to standardized proposal development tools and strengthening of the development process based on the context, operating environment and capacity.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
SAVE THE CHILDREN
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding.
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
• Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
• Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realise their full potential, and to build the organisation’s capability for the future.
• Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organization.
• Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in ever-changing and uncertain global and working environments.
• Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence.
• Displays consistent excellent judgement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Experience in proposal development with excellent writing/editing capabilities and strong analytical/critical thinking skills, ideally in a child protection, education, food security, health & nutrition etc.
• Have a Bachelor degree or higher qualification in social studies, communications, international development, or other relevant fields.
• Accomplished proposal development
• Detail-oriented with good multi-tasking abilities, excellent coordination and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels
• Excellent representation, presentation and communication skills, and ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner.
• Experience in coordinating development of large-scale or strategic proposals, including the experience of proposal development for US and UK government programming, SIDA, DANIDA, ECHO, BMZ, UN agencies etc.
• Previous experience of project management and project cycle management, including project design, implementation and evaluation
• Good understanding of donor compliance and reporting mechanisms and requirements
• Good understanding of monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
• Ability to work well under pressure, multiple deadlines, handle and use constructive feedback in order to make needed changes to proposals, fundraising strategies etc.
• Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
SAVE THE CHILDREN
• Able to work well both within a team and independently in a challenging and fast-moving multicultural environment.
• The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
• Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children.
• Experience or understanding of the Yemen Context
• Experience working for Save the Children and working across organisational structures
Date of issue: Sept 9, 2021
Date advertised: 12 Sep 2021
Closing date: 26 Sep 2021 - 22:59 EET
Location: Location, N/A
Department: Awards Management
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time