Head of Security
The role of Head of Security Syria is a strategic as well as operational role that will require hands on support to ground teams while leading them in the field and at the same time engaging with senior leadership at country and field level to extend advice on all issues related to safety and security planning and decision making.
The Head of Security supports the Syria Country Director to assure that the Save the Children teams in Jordan, Turkey and Syria are able to reach children in need while maintaining highest possible levels of safety and risk management as defined in SCI Safety and Security policy.
SCI Security strategy is primarily based on Acceptance and Protection with elements of Deterrence that will require Head of S&S to fully understand the context, SCI engagements, actors on ground and to ensure that leadership at Syria country and field offices are equally aware of ground developments and relevant mitigation/ engagement strategies with stake holders.
The Head of Security will lead the Syria security team and will ensure that all staff at country and field level are sensitized to the threats and are prepared to respond and manage the risks. All SCI facilities including offices, guest houses, warehouses and program locations are fitted with the physical and site security measures required for a critical risk environment like Syria, which are regularly reviewed, updated and maintained. Similarly, the risk of field travel is clearly understood and SCI vehicles and drivers are equipped with relevant safety and communication equipment along with tracking mechanism that can provide early identification and response to relevant threats.
Organizing, designing and delivering trainings to country and field staff will be a key deliverable of the Head of Safety and Security that he will do with the help of field security teams. These trainings include Advanced Personal Safety and Security Training (HEAT), First Aid, Drivers training, Evacuation & Hibernation drills, Duck and Cover drills.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* University Degree, preferably in Risk/ Security/ Crisis Management
* Certification in Security / Risk Management
* 5 years' experience of Security Risk Management at senior level with INGOs/ UN
* Documented experience of leading the development of Security Risk Assessments, Actor Mapping, Context Analysis along with developing various safety and security plans (Security Management, Incident Management, Contingency plans and business continuity plans)
* Experience of developing Security budgets and engage with awards team to include security costs in proposals.
* Hands on experience of managing crisis at field and country office levels
* Well versed with humanitarian security management and "Do no Harm" principles as per UN, Interaction and EISF guidelines and familiarity with the integrated role of safety and security at the heart of programme operations
* Experience of Humanitarian Emergency response in security critical threat environments
* Extensive experience of designing and conducting Security trainings HEAT, First Aid, Drivers Trainings etc.
* Well versed with Acceptance approach of S&S management and have used it extensively in previous assignments
* Experience of using protection strategy in developing site security enhancement plans and designing facilities to mitigate against high threat of possible incursions/ assaults
* Experience of dealing with Road safety issues and designing programs to mitigate field travel risks of staff and assets
* Remote management experience of teams working in diverse and geographically separated locations
* Excellent understanding of Syrian conflict and humanitarian situation on ground. This includes familiarity with the various key factors impacting the political and humanitarian environment of the Syrian conflict, including the United Nations, INGOs, NGOs, governments, and donors.
* Superb interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, establish information networks, and coordinate with country authorities, militias, donors, International Organisations and local NGOs. This includes ability to engage country leadership and RSD MEEE and keep them abreast of all developments on ground.
* Ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment with tight deadlines and limited resources
* Proven ability to work constructively in diverse teams and to manage national staff
* Proven skills in concise and succinct report writing and using Microsoft office tools.
* Excellent time management skills to prioritise and meet deadlines.
* Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin all aspects of the job.
* Commitment to Save the Children Child Safeguarding policy.
* Fluent in English (written and spoken).
* Security certifications (CSP, PSP, UN Security Management, NEBOSH)
* First Aid / HEAT Master Trainer
* Working with local NGOs/ CBOs
* Experience living and working in Syria or neighbouring countries
* Working knowledge of Arabic language
Contract length: 12 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.